POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV & OpenGL? : Re: POV & OpenGL? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV & OpenGL?
From: George Hunt
Date: 14 Nov 1997 01:59:38
Message: <346bf5b9.95268263@news.stmuc.com>
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:47:12 -0800, "Ken Cecka" <cec### [at] televarmoc>
wrote:

>Since OpenGL is a rendering accelerator, not a ray-tracing accelerator, it
>is only useful for preview mode in a modeler.  Pov on it's own isn't a
>modeler, just a ray-tracing engine.  Several of the modelers currently
>available for POV already use OpenGL for preview though.  Check out sPatch,
>Breeze, PovSB.  I think they all have OpenGL preview, and I'm sure there are
>others.
>
>Ken

But Ken,
    Many people (Dan Farmer for instance, one of the best and best
known POV-Ray artists ever) don't use modellers at all (or very
little)  They do in fact use POV-Ray test renders, and a bit of trial
and error, to 'model' their scenes.  I would say that POV-Ray would be
all the better if it DID have an option to represent the scene via an
OpenGL preview.  Then, when you get things in the correct positions
and get your CSG's etc. correct, you could switch back to a raytraced
preview so that you can see how the more complex textures are doing.

George Hunt --- Raytracer Obsessivo
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lightsword
102### [at] compuservecom